This is the 136th issue of the Newsletter published by the Department of Linguistics at the University of Konstanz. It covers informations about the plans of the members of the department in October 2019 as well as short reports about events, presentations, etc. in September 2019.
New to Konstanz
We are very pleased to welcome Benazir Mumtaz from the University of Engineering and Technology in Lahore, Pakistan, as a new member of the FOR 2111. She will be working within project P4 on the structure of Urdu questions.
Kajsa Djärv will join our department on October 1st, 2019 as a postdoctoral fellow in the projects P1 and P3 of our RU "Questions at the Interfaces". Kajsa, with a PhD from the University of Pennsylvania in 2019, has worked on the semantics, pragmatics and syntax of attitudes verbs. A warm welcome to Kajsa! For more details, see here.
We also cordially welcome Cory Bill, Hannah Booth, Carles Gallifa Puig, Maria Francesca Ferin, Laura González López, Maialen Annik Watzinger Azkarate as new members of our department.
Welcome to our visitors:
- Jane Lutken, from the Cognitive Science Department at Johns Hopkins University, who will be a guest in the Babyspeech lab until mid November and will conduct data for an acquisition study on embedded questions in English and German.
- Aviv Schoenfeld, a PhD student at Tel Aviv University, who will be visiting our department in the WiSe2019-20.
Events at/by the Department
- Jane Lutken from Johns Hopkins University will give a talk on children’s acquisition of questions: Errors as evidence: What children’s syntactic errors can tell us about how they learn grammar. It will take place Monday, October 7th, in G 209 at 15.00.
- We are pleased to announce that in co-operation with the NWO network Searching for Semantic Universals in the Modal Domain, our RU "Questions at the Interfaces" will hold a workshop with a day of open talks on October 9th, 2019. See here.
Conferences, Workshops and Presentations
- George Walkden is giving a talk on Detecting syntactic change and stability at the Workshop on Statistics in Historical Corpus Linguistics, Maynooth, Ireland, on 5th October 2019.
- Georg A. Kaiser will be giving a talk in October at the XXXVI. Romanistentag in Kassel on Estabilidad y variación en las oraciones interrogativas de las lenguas románicas (’Stability and variation in Romance interrogatives’) (joint work with Katharina Kaiser and Aikaterini-Lida Kalouli).
- Bettina Braun and Katharina Zahner are giving a talk on early language acquisition at the Volkshochschule in Tuttlingen on October 9th. The talk is entitled Sprechen lernen beginnt mit dem Zuhören - Ein Einblick in die frühkindliche Spracherwerbsforschung rund um das Wörter lernen.
- Miriam Butt, Annette Hautli-Janisz, and Marina Janka (University Konstanz), Mining the Text and the Subtext. Talk given at the 12th Computational Social Science Workshop, University of St. Gallen on October 9th, 2019.
- Andreas Trotzke will give an invited talk on Discourse particles in second language acquisition at the Autonomous University of Barcelona on October 11th.
- Tina Bögel will give a talk at NELS 50 on October 26th, with the title Rhythmic phrasing of prosodic words: a diachronic perspective from Old English, supported by experimental evidence from German.
- Miriam Butt is giving a Talk on Word Order Effects and Particles in Urdu Questions at the 35th South Asian Analysis Roundtable (SALA), INALCO, Paris.
- Anika Lloyd-Smith, Sergio Miguel Pereira Soares, Grazia di Pisa and Tanja Kupisch presented a poster entitled Operationalizing heritage language use in adult-aged heritage speakers of Italian and Turkish at the LAVA workshop "Capturing and Quantifying Individual Differences in Bilingualism", in Tromsø September 2nd-3rd, 2019.
- Regine Eckardt delivered a plenary lecture at Sinn + Bedeutung 24, Osnabrück on September 5th, 2019. The talk was In Search of the Narrator. Context, Discourse and Subjective Interpretation.
- Andreas Trotzke gave the following talks:
- Functional categories and that-exclamatives in discourse. Workshop: Functional Categories and Expressive Meaning. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, September 9th, 2019 (with Xavier Villalba).
- Exclamatives are emotive assertions of intensity: New evidence from Greek and German. Workshop: Functional Categories and Expressive Meaning. Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, September 10th, 2019 (with Anastasia Giannakidou).
- ¡Mira! The grammar-attention interface in the Spanish left periphery. LAGB 2019. Queen Mary University of London, September 9th-12th, 2019 (with Laura González López).
- Sequencing the discourse: PP-internal particles in Dutch. LAGB 2019. Queen Mary University of London, September 9th-12th, 2019 (with Liliane Haegeman).
- Kleine Wörter, große Wirkung: Deutsche Modalpartikeln im Fremdsprachenerwerb italienischsprachiger Lernender. University of Salzburg (German Department), September 13th, 2019.
- Regine Eckardt presented a joint work with Qi Yu at the 12th Conference on Syntax, Phonology and Language Analysis (SinFonIJA 12) in Brno on September 12th, 2019. The talk was on nur/bloß as a marker of extreme ignorance questions.
- Anna Czypionka gave a Talk at the 12th Conference on Syntax, Phonology and Language Analysis (SinFonIJA 12), September 12th-14th 2019, Masaryk University in Brno (Czech Republic). The title was The role of context in the interpretation of imperfective aspect in Polish: Insights from offline and online (self-paced reading an eye-tracking) experiments (Authors: Dorota Klimek-Jankowska, Anna Czypionka, Joanna Błaszczak).
- Carmen Widera gave a talk with the title Percepção e avaliação do uso de 'ele' em construções impessoais em português europeu (Perception and evaluation of the use of 'ele' in impersonal constructions in European Portuguese) at the 13th Lusitanistentag, which took place at the Universität Augsburg, from September 11th to 14th.
- The paper The processing of prosodic cues to rhetorical question interpretation: Psycholinguistic and neurolinguistics evidence by Mariya Kharaman, Manuluolan Xu, Carsten Eulitz and Bettina Braun has been accepted for oral presentation at the "20th Annual Conference of the International Speech Communication Association INTERSPEECH 2019", held in Graz, Austria, from September 15th-19th, 2019.
- George Walkden presented a poster on Studentsourcing annotation for Early Modern English at the Workshop on Annotation of Non-standard Corpora in Bamberg, 16th-18th September.
- Antje Strauß presented a poster entitled Cortical entrainment in the alpha but not theta range predicts speech comprehension in noise at BryCoCo 2019, the annual conference on Brain Rhythms in Computation, Communication and Cognition, from the 16th to the 18th of September in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Anna Czypionka was at Linglunch, Université Paris Diderot, Paris to give an invited talk, September 19th 2019: The processing of question-sensitive discourse particles - long-distance licensing at the interfaces of syntax, semantics and pragmatics.
- Sandy Ciroux presented a poster entitled A Word about Gestures at the XPRAG.it 2019 conference in Cagliari (Italy), September 19th-20th.
- Qi Yu will presented a poster Domain widening yet: German nur/bloß in extreme ignorance questions at Semantics & Philosophy in Europe 11, Warshaw on September 20th, 2019.
- K Sarveswaran, Gihan Dias and Miriam Butt presented a paper entitled Using Meta-Morph Rules to develop Morphological Analysers: A case study concerning Tamil at the 14th International Conference on Finite-State Methods and Natural Language Processing (FSMNLP) held on September 23rd-25th, 2019 in Dresden.
- Antje Strauß gave a talk on The importance of tracking word and sentence onsets for speech comprehension in noise. Evidence from EEG at ESCOP 2019, the 21st conference of the European Society for Cognitive Psychology, that took place from 25th-28th September in Tenerife.
- George Walkden gave a talk on Corpus comparability: some challenges at the workshop on Creating annotated corpora for historical languages in Cambridge, 26th-27th September.
- Farhat Jabeen gave a talk in Phonetik und Phonologie (P&P15) conference held on September 26th-27th in Düsseldorf. The title of her talk was Recursive Intonational Phrases in Urdu/Hindi.
From October 1st to October 10th, Aikaterini-Lida Kalouli will be visiting the University of Moratuwa, Sri Lanka, as part of the ongoing collaboration of Prof. Miriam Butt and Prof. Gihan Dias and the DAAD-funded project “Developing Computational Grammars for the National Languages (Sinhala and Tamil) of Sri Lanka”.
George Walkden will be visiting the University of Tartu, Estonia, from 7th-12th October as part of an Erasmus Teaching Mobility stay. He will be teaching a short course on language change and presenting some of his recent work on grammatical change in the history of English.
Following an invitation by Prof. Haiping Long, Nicole Dehé will be in China from 15 October to 5 November. She has been invited to attend the Conference on Chinese Grammaticalization to be hold at China Three Gorges University in Yichang, 25-27 October 2019. In addition, she will give a variety of talks at the following universities: Capital Normal University (Beijing), Three Gorges University (Yichang), Zhejiang University (Hangzhou), Shanghai Jiaotong University (Shanghai), Changshu Institue of Technology (Changshu, Suzhou).
We are very happy for George Walkden, who has been awarded a prestigious ERC Starting Grant by the European Research Council, worth €1.5 million over five years, to work on language contact and syntactic change cross-linguistically. You can find out more about the project, which will be launching in April 2020, here.
Publications by Members of the Department
- Braun, Bettina, & Biezma, Maria. 2019. Prenuclear L*+H Activates Alternatives for the Accented Word. Frontiers in Psychology, 24.
- Schönhuber, Muna, Nathalie Czeke, Anja Gampe & Janet Grijzenhout. 2019. Infant perception of VOT and closure duration contrasts. Journal of Phonetics 77. (online access)
- Sarveswaran, Kengatharaiyer, Gihan Dias, Gihan and Miriam Butt. 2019. Using Meta-Morph Rules to develop Morphological Analysers: A case study concerning Tamil. In Heiko Vogler and Andreas Maletti (eds.) Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on Finite-State Methods and Natural Language Processing, 76-86. Association for Computational Linguistics.
- Mennatallah El-Assady, Wolfgang Jentner, Fabian Sperrle, Rita Sevastjanova, Annette Hautli-Janisz, Miriam Butt, Daniel Keim. A Linguistic Visual Analytics Framework. In Proceedings of ACL 2019 System Demonstrations, pp. 13-18. (online access)
Acquisitions of the Library
- Placencia, María E. Guía práctica de pragmática del español
- Hoffmannová, Jana Syntax mluvené češtiny
- Rao, Rajiv Key Issues in the teaching of Spanish pronunciation
- Musolff, Andreas Language aggression in public debates on immigration
- Zufferey, Sandrine Implicatures
- Kanetani, Masaru Causation and reasoning constructions
- Bárány, András Prominent internal possessors
- Álvarez González, Albert Diverse scenarios of syntactic complexity
- Austin, Lynette Proficiency predictors in sequential bilinguals
- Clifford, Joan Community-based language learning
- Gajdošová, Katarína Frekvenčný slovník hovorenej slovenčiny na báze Slovenského hovoreného korpusu
- Gutzmann, Daniel Grammar of expressivity
- Grosjean, François Journey in languages and cultures
- Howard, Martin Study abroad, second language acquisition and interculturality
- Kartchava, Eva Noticing oral corrective feedback in the second language classroom
- Muramatsu, Chie Portraits of second language learners
- Wübbeler, Markus Lost in Translation? Translationsforschung in den Lebenswissenschaften
- Roulston, Kathryn Interactional studies of qualitative research interviews
- Salaberry, M. Rafael Teaching and testing L2 interactional competence
- Herbeck, Peter Semantic and syntactic aspects of impersonality
- Bednarski, Aleksander Redefining the fringes in Celtic studies
- Phillips, Siyamiyateliyot Elizabeth Talking in Halq’eméylem
- Rojavin, Marina Russian function words
- International Conference on Language and Emotion <2016, Madrid Emotion in discourse
- Studi italiani di linguistica teorica e applicata; Anno XLVII (2018)
- Transactions of the Philological Society; 1982
- Journal of Portuguese linguistics; Volume 13 (2014) / Volume 14, N.°1 (2015)
- Francophonies du sud; 2017 = Nr. 40/42
- Poradnik je̜zykowy; 2018
Bild Copyright by Brigitte Kreuzwirth/pixelio.de