This is the 170th issue of the Newsletter published by the Department of Linguistics at the University of Konstanz. It covers informations about the plans of the members of the department in August 2022 as well as short reports about events, presentations, etc. in July 2022.
Events at/by the Department
On July 28th, Diego Frassinelli (linguistics) and Caterina Moruzzi (philosophy) organised a one-day workshop on The Present and Future of AI. Five invited speakers presented their work on aspects crucial in Artificial Intelligence. At the same event, our students presented their scientific posters on topics related to the various talks. The event was funded by the "Transdepartmental Teaching Programm" of the Zukunftkolleg.
Department and Research Colloquium in July
|07.07||Colin Davis: The Unextractability of English Possessive Pronouns: On Portmanteau Morphology and the Timing of Spell-Out|
PhD Students Talk
PhD Students Talk
Conferences, Workshops and Presentations
- Several members of the department are presenting at the 25th International Conference on Historical Linguistics, Oxford, 1st-5th August:
- Maia Duguine and Georg Kaiser: Word order changes in Basque constituent questions
- Frederik Hartmann: An agent-based modelling approach to wave-like diversification of language families
- Henri Kauhanen: A critical threshold for the population fraction of L2 speakers necessary and sufficient to bring about contact-induced language change
- Gemma McCarley: Changes in Null Subjects in Latin American Spanish: a diachronic corpus study
- Raquel Montero Estebaranz: The Loss of Plural Concord in Quantifiers and Adjectives in Middle English
- Nasir A. Rizvi Syed, Saira Bano and Tooba Sahar: The Reversal of a Diachronic Morpho-syntactic Process because of Language Contact
- George Walkden, Gemma McCarley, Raquel Montero, Molly Rolf, Sarah Einhaus and Henri Kauhanen: Sociolinguistic typology meets historical corpus linguistics
- And last but not least, a keynote talk by emeritus professor Frans Plank: Patterns of suppletion in inflectional paradigms: What do you mean, “universals of language” and there aren’t any?
- Miriam Geiss will present a poster entitled Who likes bananas?! How second language learners of German produce rhetorical questions at ISBPAC2022: 4th international symposium on bilingual and L2 processing in adults and children, 4th-5th August, UiT The Arctic University of Norway.
- Nicole Dehé, Moritz Jakob, Meike Rommel & Christiane Ulbrich will give a talk titled The intonation of declaratives, polar questions and wh-questions in two varieties of Faroese at the 13th Nordic Prosody Conference held in Sonderborg, Denmark, 17th-19th August.
- Regine Eckardt will present a plenary talk at the fourth international workshop "Concepts in Action: Representation, Learning, and Application" which will take place at the Humboldt University of Berlin. The workshop is scheduled for August 22nd-24th, 2022.
The program can be found here.
- Julia Bacskai-Atkari will give a talk entitled Relative markers and subject-object asymmetries in the Wycliffe Bible at the 12th International Conference on Middle English (ICOME 12), Glasgow, University of Glasgow, 22nd-26th August 2022.
- Georg A. Kaiser will be giving a talk together with Maia Duguine (IKER Bayonne, UMR5478) titled Basque V2 effects in diachrony at the 55th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europea in Bukarest on Wednesday, August 24th.
- Güliz Günes & Nicole Dehé will give a talk titled Don't deaccent given: A challenge to radical deaccentuation accounts from Icelandic at the 55th Annual Meeting of the Societas Linguistica Europaea held in Bucharest, Romania, 24th-27th August.
- A few members of the department are presenting at EuroSLA 31 in Fribourg from 24th.-27th August:
- Anika Lloyd-Smith and Tanja Kupisch are presenting a talk entitled Can policies prevent language loss? The case of North Sámi
- Miriam Geiss, Maria F. Ferin, Theo Marinis & Tanja Kupisch are presenting a talk entitled Rhetorical Questions in German-dominant Heritage Speakers
- Antje Strauß will give a talk at the 22nd conference of the European Society for Cognitive Psychology taking place from August 29th till September 1st 2022 in Lille, France. Her talk is entitled: Finding endogeneous theta oscillations in primary auditory cortex -- a prerequisite for neural entrainment to speech and is presented as part of a symposium organized by Anahita Basirat on "Rhythm and cognition: theoretical challenges and rehabilitation perspectives".
- Josef Bayer is invited speaker at the Linguisten-Seminar of the Japanische Gesellschaft für Sprachwissenschaft that will take place in Tokyo between 29th August and 1st September 2022. Invitations to other Japanese universities are planned.
- Christiane Ulbrich, Nicole Dehé, Moritz Jakob and Meike Rommel presented a poster entitled On Faroese intonation: comparing intonation patterns of the two Faroese varieties spoken in Vestmanna (Streymoy) and in Klaksvik (Borðoy) at the Workshop Small languages big ideas, 30th June-1st July, University of Oldenburg.
- Tamara Rathcke was invited to give a talk to the Prosody Discussion Group of the University of Michigan. She presented her work on the role of prosody in the “speech-to-song illusion”. The meeting took place on 1st July (online).
- Anja Weingart & Georg Kaiser presented a talk at the XXX Congreso Internacional De Lingüística y Filología Románicas, 4th.-9th July 2022, Universidad de La Laguna: Una herramienta web para la anotación lingüística. Aplicando los principios FAIR a un corpus de textos paralelos de lenguas (y variedades) románicas.
- George Walkden gave a talk titled From questions in syntax to questions in discourse: Old English hwæþer at the “Sentence Grammar/Discourse Grammar” workshop in Tübingen on Friday 8th July.
- Qi Yu presented a paper entitled 'Again, Dozens of Refugees Drowned': A Computational Study of Political Framing Evoked by Presuppositions at the Student Research Workshop of NAACL 2022 Seattle/online, July 10th-15th.
- Tina Bögel presented a talk on The prosody-syntax interface: A computational implementation on July 12th at the LFG 22 in Groningen.
- Anja Weingart presented a poster at the International Congress on Syntax In honour of Professor Ana Maria Brito, 13th -15th July 2022, Faculdade de Letras da Universidade do Porto. The title is: Clitic doubling in European Portuguese: evidence for a ‘matching principle’ at the syntax-semantics interface.
- Antje Strauß presented a poster entitled Tackling endogenous theta oscillations in primary auditory cortex at the SAMBA conference which took place from July 14th, 2022 to July 15th, 2022 at the University of Salzburg, Austria.
- There was a talk by Dorota Klimek-Jankowska, Anna Czypionka and Joanna Blaszczak at the conference Psycholinguistics of Slavic Languages 2022 (Tübingen), titled Imperfective aspect underspecified for number: An eye-tracking study. Saturday July 16th 2022.
- Congratulations to Frederik Hartmann and Aikaterini-Lida Kalouli, who have both been awarded this year's City of Konstanz Prize for their excellent doctoral dissertations. The awards ceremony will take place on Monday 18th July in the City Archives.
- Also congratulations to Frederik Hartmann who will take up an assistant professorship in Computational Linguistics at the University of North Texas starting January.
- Lisa Gotthard, who has been working with George Walkden on the project Modelling lexical diffusion in syntax, will be taking up a permanent position as Lecturer in English language at the University of Edinburgh. Congratulations to Lisa!
- Regine Eckardt, together with Donka Farkas (UCSC), taught a class on (Noncanonical) Questions at the Cretling 2022 Summer School, at Crete between July 18th - July 29th, 2022. Details can be found here.
- News form the ERUA (European Reform University Alliance):
* ERUA multilingualism workshop
The second ERUA multilingual workshop Plurilingual pedagogies took place at Paris 8 on Thursday 30th June in the frame of the journée d’étude: “Plurilinguismes, transculturalités et créativités: Dialogues autour de pratiques éducatives”.
* ERUA multilingualism pitch talk on didactic concepts
Ramona Baumgartner (UKON coordination Faculty of Humanities and ERUA Multilingualism activities) has been invited to the panel of the UNITA alliance “IDEAs Innovation in Didactics for the European Alliances summer school” on Wednesday 6th July 2022. Multilingualism experts and colleagues from various alliances shared and discussed practises and concepts that have been developed within the framework of the European Universities Initiative with students and staff.
* ERUA’s societal transfer connecting educational pathways and community needs
Ramona Baumgartner and Dr. Eva Dade (ERUA coordination) were invited to present at the event series “Bildungswege - Integrationsprozesse durch Bildung – Möglichkeiten, Perspektiven, Schnittstellen” on Thursday 21st July 2022, day 3 of the event series with the thematical focus on “Hochschule/Arbeit” organized by the „Forschungsinstitut Gesellschaftlicher Zusammenhalt (FGZ)“. The ERUA team highlighted examples of community building activities that foster the creation of sense of belonging on the basis of two key areas of the ERUA Konstanz workpackage „Reimagining Community“ (diversity and multilingualism). These actions have been created within existing and joint newly developed alliance resources for societal transfer activities.
The event will took place at the Mettnau-Schule in Radolfzell.
Publications by Members of the Department
- Tamara Rathcke has co-authored a paper with a colleague from the Leibniz Centre of General Linguistics: Tamara Rathcke & Susanne Fuchs. Laugh is in the air: An exploratory analysis of laughter during speed dating. The article appeared in Frontiers in Communication (Language Sciences) as part of the research topic on Effective and Attractive Communication Signals in Social, Cultural, and Business Contexts.
- Dehé, Nicole, Marieke Einfeldt & Daniela Wochner. 2022. The interaction of discourse markers and prosody in rhetorical questions in German. "Journal of Linguistics" (online first view).
- Smit, Eline Adrianne; Milne, Andrew J.; Sarvasy, Hannah S.; Dean, Roger T. Emotional responses in Papua New Guinea show negligible evidence for a universal effect of major versus minor music 2022, in in PLOS ONE (online access).
- Hejná, Michaela, & George Walkden. 2022. A history of English. Textbooks in Language Sciences. Berlin: Language Science Press. (online access)
- Widera, Carmen. 2021. O uso de ele em construções impessoais em português europeu – um estudo experimental. In C. Barbero & M. Tomaz (eds.), "Textos Selecionados do XIII & XIV Fórum de Partilha Linguística", 103-118. Lisboa: NOVA FCSH - CLUNL. (pdf)
- Widera, Carmen. 2022. L'emploi du pronom sujet explétif il en français moderne: Une analyse micro-diachronique de l'oral. Langages 226 (2/2022), 55-68. (pdf)
Acquisitions of the Library
- Borimann, Karina Leoni: Gender bias in job postings
- Müller, Anja: Grammatische Modellierung als Grundlage für sprachdidaktische Vermittlung
- Mitkov, Ruslan: The Oxford handbook of computational linguistics
- Meyers, Maria: Receptive syntax in schizophrenia: the influence of empathy on complex sentence embeddings
- Kaiser, Sophia Marie: Understanding of complex syntax in schizophrenia: the role of formal thought disorder and mental state verbs
- Knoblauch, Hubert: Verbal art across cultures: the aesthetics and proto-aesthetics of communication
- Rivista italiana di dialettologia; Anno 45 (2021)
- Sprachwissenschaft; Band 46 (2021)
- Studia linguistica; 43.1989
- Bulletin de la Société de Linguistique de Paris; Tome 115 (2020)
- Langages; 221-224 (2021)
- Language typology and universals; Volume 74 (2021)
- Journal of Germanic linguistics; Volume 33
- Zeitschrift für deutsche Philologie; Band 140 (2021)
- Zeitschrift für Dialektologie und Linguistik; Band 88 (2021
- Linguistic inquiry; Volume 52 (2021)
- Zeitschrift für germanistische Linguistik; Band 49 (2021)
- English language notes; 59
- English studies; Volume 102 (2021)
- Etudes anglaises; 74 année (2021)
- Zeitschrift für Anglistik und Amerikanistik; Volume 69 (2021)
- Francophonies du monde; 2019
- The French review; Volume 94 (2020/2021)
- French studies; Volume 75
- Hispanic review; volume 89 (2021)
- Langue française; 209-212 (2021)
- Lingüística española actual; 40 (2018)
- Revista iberoamericana; Vol. 87, núm. 274-277 (2021)
- Zeitschrift für französische Sprache und Literatur; Band 129 (2019)
- Zeitschrift für romanische Sprachen und ihre Didaktik; 15 (2021)
- Revue des études slaves; Tome 92 (2021)
- Scando-Slavica; Tomus 67 (2021)
- Slavica Slovaca; Rocnik 54 (2019)
- Slovo a slovesnost; Ročnik 82 (2021)
- Zeitschrift für Slawistik; Band 66 (2021)
Photo copyright by Rainer Sturm/pixelio.de