I. About the degree
The MA programme in multilingualism concentrates on topics in current linguistics research that bear most directly on two areas:
Multilingualism and the individual
- Language acquisition
- Early childhood multilingualism
- Second language acquisition in children and adults
- Third language acquisition
- Acquisition of heritage language
Aspects of multilingualism in society
- Language contact
- Language loss
- Language dominance
- Language influence
- Language change in European and non-European languages
II. The degree structure
The MA Multilingualism is designed as a 2-year programme (4 semesters) with a workload of 120 ECTS-points. Semesters 1 and 2 are spent in Konstanz. In semester 3, students choose between a stay abroad, studying multilingualism at a partner institution or an internship with a company or research group relevant to the degree. Semester 4 will be dedicated to thesis work
Numbers and deadlines:
• Application deadline: 15.1. and 15.06.
• Duration of the degree: 4 Semester
• Number of places available: 30/Year
• Total number of ECTS: 120
III. Language skills and language of instruction
Teaching language and language(s) of instruction
The language of instruction will be mainly English. Upon availability, there might also be courses taught in German or other modern languages.
With your application you will have to provide a documentation of advanced English language skills (spoken and written English), level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
IV. Study abroad / Internship
The third semester students can either spend at one of our partner universities abroad or undertake an internship with a company/institution/research group relevant to the degree.
- Students who are interested in studying Multilingualism abroad will find more information on our webpage on international participation.
- Students who would like to undertake an internship should contact the departmental study advisers for further information at: ma.multilingualism(at)uni-konstanz.de
V. Admission requirements
- An above average Bachelor's degree in Linguistics. The grade point average of your Bachelor's degree should at least correspond to the German grade 2.5 (good). Students in the final year of their Bachelor's degree, who have not yet graduated, are welcome to apply.
- Documentation of advanced English language skills (spoken and written English), level B2 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
A description of the admission requirements is found in the Admission Regulations of the University of Konstanz.
How to apply for the MA Multilingualism?
If you would like to apply for the programme you have to complete the online application form. Before starting with the online application please make sure that you have the following documents at hand:
A passport photo
A proof of your academic degree including details on course work. If you have not received your degree certificate by the end of the application deadline, please attach a documentation of all your examination results so far.
A proof of advanced English language skills (spoken and written English), level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
A current certificate of enrolment or proof of exmatriculation (if you have studied at a German university, please indicate your 'Fachsemester’ and ‘Hochschulsemester’).
You have all these documents prepared? Then click on "How to apply"!